This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Friday 14 September 2012

How I got Second Life on Linux

When I tried to run Second Life's beta release on linux, from the command line, I got the following error:

64-bit Linux detected.
Running from /home/celesteh/.secondlife-install
 - Installing menu entries in /home/celesteh/.local/share/applications
bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
*** Bad shutdown ($LL_RUN_ERR). ***

You are running the Second Life Viewer on a x86_64 platform.  The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.
For example, on Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linuxes you might run:
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs-kde ia32-libs-sdl

*******************************************************
This is a BETA release of the Second Life linux client.
Thank you for testing!
Please see README-linux.txt before reporting problems.

I checked if I had libGL.so.1 installed. I did:

$ sudo find / -name libGL.so.1
[sudo] password for celesteh: 
/usr/lib32/mesa/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1

I went to the directory where Second Life installs itself (the install.sh script tells you where this is when you run it. And I edited the script called SecondLife. I changed this line:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PWD/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"

To this:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PWD/lib:/usr/lib32/mesa:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"

Note that /usr/lib32/mesa is one of the results I got from running find. It's the one that seems to be 32 bit.

After I fixed that, it opened (and popped a warning saying my computer is underpowered, which I assume is another library issue. I have NO IDEA what to do about this. Will update if and when I figure it out.

I know what you're thinking. and the answer is that the network is the computer. And the live coding is the music. and SecondLiveCoding is the future.

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!